Sunday, September 23, 2012

Telling my Sweetheart (part 2)

So last Friday night, D.W. surprised me by picking me up at work for a really sweet date night out! It was fun and spontaneous and romantic and very thoughtful. She knew exactly what we needed as a couple, and it was wonderful.

As our date was in the "big city," we had a lot of time in the car to talk, and at one point she asked me when I was going to finish telling the story of my coming out to her. "Even though I know how it ends," she said, "I still want to read it!"

The fact that she asked me that, and the fact that we were even able to talk about it on a date, should tell you something about how things are going. ;)

Anyway, like I said last time, I wasn't really surprised by her initial reaction to my emailed "hey, I'm trans" letter (ouch, it still bothers me that it happened that way), but it hurt all the same.

She felt lied to. She felt like I'd been dishonest with her all these years, which in a way I guess I have, at least concerning this one thing that I've been keeping from her. (Although in fairness, that's because I was denying my own transgender nature as well, basically putting my fingers in my ears and going "LALALALALALALA," like that could actually drown it out)

She told me she wasn't entirely surprised. As I mentioned last time, she'd caught me dressing a few times early on in our marriage, and of course she knew I shave my legs, so she'd always kind of wondered if things weren't really over.

She was angry. She was worried about what was going to happen to our marriage, to our kids. All her future plans for growing old together seemed in jeopardy.

All of these are fears I shared, of course.

After her initial email reply, we went back and forth a couple of times through email, but I suggested that we really needed to talk about it face to face, and she agreed. Meanwhile, I encouraged her to go visit my blog and my friends' blogs (thanks, you three!), and cautioned her against looking at too many other things on the Internet, because there were so many different ways of looking at our situation, and most of them wouldn't be very helpful to her.

I don't really remember the rest of that work day. I just remember being worried about what was going to happen to us and our family.

That evening was pretty tricky too, because we had to act like nothing was going on until the kids were asleep. Finally, we got time to sit down on the bed together and talk face to face.

That afternoon, in spite of my warning, D.W. had done some Internet research, and as I feared, a lot of what she read freaked her out. Rightly so: trans folk tend to have a much higher suicide rate, divorce rate, and a raft of other challenges no one in their right minds would willingly take up. Fortunately, she'd also read Laurie's, Christi's, and giantC's blogs, so she saw that the two of us weren't alone in the darkness, and she saw three people with very different life circumstances but surprisingly similar approaches to our common challenge. So to my friends with the courage and willingness to blog difficult things: thank you!

(well, honestly, at first she wondered why I'd tell my troubles to perfect strangers and not to her. But when I explained that I needed a safe haven where I could work through my feelings and figure things out first, thus saving her undue stress, she understood)

Now, a quick aside... right about the time I started this blog, when I first began to recognize that it was possible to reconcile my transgenderism with my faith and family, I started trying to "Metro" up my appearance a little. I put more effort into skin care and shaving, got some new (guy) clothes in brighter colors / softer fabrics, and - this was a big one - I started growing my hair out. I've worn my hair super short for years — military short, pretty much — and I felt like it was important to the overall image I wanted to convey that I have more nicely-styled hair, perhaps a tetch on the long-for-a-guy side (think Josh Groban or Orlando Bloom). When I told her that this was what I was aiming for, she didn't yet know about Arcee, but she went along with it, because I think by that point she knew I was having a midlife crisis or something.

I tell you that to tell you that once she knew what was going on in my head, this apparently sudden shift in my attitude made more sense to her. And for the most part, she was understanding, except for one little detail: dressing en femme.

To be blunt, the idea of me dressing skeeves her out. As we talked through all the ins and outs of what the reality of my transness means to us as a couple, this was the one thing on which she wouldn't budge: no more dressing like a girl. Go as Metrosexual as I want, sure... but dress like a man! (whatever that means these days... I mean, you can't really say Russell Brand and Sean Connery have anything even remotely in common, yet they're both "dressing as men") Anyway, that was her concern: could I give that up?

Well... yeah. I love her and the kids more than I love myself (which I guess means I'm not a "true" Metrosexual, since one of their defining characteristics is narcissism). But would it be easy to give that up? Don't count on it! That said, I've found some strategies that are working okay so far, which I'll be blogging about soon. This is very much a case of us feeling our way through the dark together, and it's going to take time.

The important thing is, now D.W. knows, and we're working through all the implications of my transgenderism, however it solidifies, together. Over the past few months since our initial conversation, we've had several others like it, and she's beginning to understand what I told her that first night: I'm still the same person she married, now I'm just a little more free to express my whole self.

Occasionally when we're alone, she'll get really serious and ask me, "how are you?" — most of the time I can say I'm doing okay. I've had a few dysphoric episodes (my friend giantC calls them "gender freakouts", which fits), but overall, I think things are beginning to level out a bit into a new sense or normalcy. I'll talk more soon about exactly what that means and where I think it may lead, but for now, I've probably said enough.

I'm so grateful for my dear wife's love, patience, and efforts to understand something she never asked for, and probably never in a million years would have imagined would fall in her lap. I pray I never let her down.

11 comments:

  1. I recently found your blog and a couple of the other people's in this group. I have so many questions and I'm like really confused.

    I'm somewhat similar to you and I've always had this problem but I didn't KNOW that I had the problem and there were all these little subtle warning signs that have been going off for years frequently that I kept trying to ignore. The problem is that the more I've tried to ignore this the stronger it's pulled at me. I need someone I can maybe email or ask questions about this.

    Particularly I'm worried about how do I fix this and still maintain LDS membership? Do people who have transitioned lose church? Whether you do or don't transition what happens to us after the resurrection? After resurrection are we going to be like we are now or like our mind/spirit knows itself to be?
    I've always been grateful to be a member of the LDS church but this problem has been growing in me for a long time and there's so many questions I don't even know who to ask...

    I'm feeling pretty lost about how to deal with this particularly since it seems this is kind of a area that doesn't exactly mesh well with LDS life unless done very carefully.

    In your blog ... it seemed like you were still trying to live worthy and right (aka righteous) so that's part of why I felt like asking you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CP: welcome! I'm glad you found us. When I first went looking for faithful LDS trans folk back in the spring, finding blogs like Sweet Is The Peace and TransChristian (look in my sidebar) was a revelation to me -- no matter how freakish and alone I felt I was, there were other people out there experiencing much the same struggle, and unlike so many others, they were trying to stay within the church!

    So that's thing #1: you're not alone. Use blogs, social networks (Facebook has a 1st Trans Ward page, for example), and private mailing lists (like NorthStar) to connect with others that can support and buoy you up. I'll have a post a list of resources in a day or two that should help.

    Thing #2: there's very likely no amount of praying, fasting, etc that will take away your feelings of gender funkiness. Though we don't know exactly why (birth defect? mortal trial? genetic lottery?), it looks like this is just something some of us have to deal with as best as we can.

    Thing #3: feel free to email me if you want to talk "off the record". My contact info is in my Blogger/Google+ profile.

    Thing #4 (and this is the most important!): Heavenly Father loves you, and even if nobody else on Earth understands exactly what you're going through, He does. As you begin to explore your situation a little more, pay attention to the things that do and don't drive the Spirit away, and try to stay as close to Him as you can. There is no trial on Earth that is unbearable with God on your side. Remember Elder Holland's talk from April Conference: "however late you think you are, however many chances you think you have missed, however many mistakes you feel you have made or talents you think you don’t have, or however far from home and family and God you feel you have traveled, I testify that you have NOT traveled beyond the reach of divine love. It is not possible for you to sink lower than the infinite light of Christ’s Atonement shines."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again Arcee,

    I will post more on your blog. I do post on Christi's blog a bit. Sometimes with questions. Usually things I'd thought about but not by any specific chronology; just skip around to whatever topic seems relevant.

    These kinds of issues mix me up so much. It's like up is down and down is up because I don't really honestly know which gender I truly am. When I'm dreaming my inside gender is dominant though I've noticed. But when I'm outside the me that wears my skin has to deal with things. The up is down and down is up thing isn't like that every day but some days are worse than others. I know what I feel like inside and the outside doesn't match...but I over analyze everything too.

    Do people like us feel tempted to transition often? For that matter is it even a transition if you don't have a way to life a full life as you are anyway? Makes you wonder I think. The current me I can't even live a normal life anyway so it's like I wonder if transitioning is an improvement.

    I did have an impression that either way I should be pro family. Interesting huh? I don't have to see it as male or female but pro family...it doesn't solve it actually and it's not a magic bullet. But I think it was a purer compass to go on.

    Still it doesn't get rid of all the heartache trying to figure out how to live and have a normal life.

    Thanks for listening. I'll definitely email you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi River,

    The thing I've learned about transgender issues this year is that now two people are exactly alike. There are certain feelings and experiences that are common among transfolk, but it's really impossible to say "all LDS transwomen feel X" or "all returned-missionary transmen experience Y". For me, transition is just not an option, for two reasons: 1, I can't risk losing my darling wife, beautiful kids, and temple blessings, and 2, I don't think I fit on the extreme XX side of the gender spectrum any more than I do on the extreme XY side. But for others like Christi, it feels like the only option that makes sense. So, listen to your heart, and be patient with yourself while you figure things out. It'll happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your encouragement. Keep posting cool stuff. I guess we're all just doing our best and trying to keep going.

    There are a lot of times when everything seems impossible though and it's like I'm trying to climb a wall that I can't see the end of for how high it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the club. As Tevya might say, "every one of us is a fiddler on the roof, trying to scratch out a pleasant, simple tune without breaking his neck"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so back to what this post was about ... you were describing working it out with DW...which isn't my business really but I think people who are looking at this from the outside think this is like a behavioral anarchy kind of problem lol...instead of (what I think at least) we're caught in the middle of genders (whether spiritual or physical depends on person) and just trying to be as normal as we can with what we've got and that it's hard not fitting in anywhere...I think the fact that people can have this without realizing they have it is further evidence of it being a medical condition and not a behavioral condition from bad choices, which is what the stereotype of things similar is.

    Oh and right now my neighbor's dog is barking...*gets cyanide pills for its food*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so appreciate you sharing your coming out story with us all. I found it encouraging and motivating for me to continue coming out to my family.
    Thank you Arcee
    Your friend in Zion,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to see you, GiantC! How've you been?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am doing fine. Sorry it took so long for me to respond, but I have had a lot going on in my life lately that has taken my attention away from the blogsphere. I plan to tell about it in my next blog post; which I hope to have posted in the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, looking forward to reading it! (reminds me, I need to post something new too...)

    ReplyDelete