Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pet peeve of the day: "LGBT"

So I'm listening to NPR on my way home from work the other day (yes, I'm the "crunchy granola" sort of a Mormon) and a story came on about a group in Los Angeles doing outreach to the Latino community, particularly around the issue of parents supporting their adult gay and lesbian kids when they come out. Overall it was a good story, and I certainly sympathize with the efforts of this group to promote family love and understanding, but I have one issue: I don't think they ever actually said the words "gay" or "lesbian!"

I know — crazy, right?

The reporter, and everyone they interviewed, all seemed to bend over backwards to instead refer to this as an LGBT effort. That wouldn't bother me if this group actually addressed trans issues... but I don't think they do.

Le sigh.

5 comments:

  1. LGBT usually meas LGB and T when it is politically convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah but correct me if I'm wrong but Lesbian and Gay do not belong in the same category with Trans people.

    We're trying to be normal and can't but those people ...yeah they have trouble too but they are like into risk and on a different game plan and we're just trying to live a clean life. We're also pro family...they...might say they are but it's a bit different on their version I suppose.

    So I think it hurts both us and people's perception of us to be put into the same category as them.

    I actually did put some thought into this and looked at a few things before posting this but I'm obviously not any where knowing as much as other people...but there are articles out there quoting transgender as being mostly heterosexual basing on the fact that sexual attraction and gender identity are completely different...but you don't see people bringing that up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @River: I agree that GLB and T are quite different in their approach to the world -- I've heard it said that GLB folks basically define themselves by who they want to go to bed with. T-folk define themselves by who they want to go to bed AS.

    But in another sense, I think as far as "pro-family" goes, most lesbian and gay couples would probably tell you a story about how they fell in love, decided to start a family together, etc. So in that sense, they can be JUST as pro-family as any transwoman/transman and their spouse. Plus, consider that there are a lot of different kinds of transgender marriages: transfolk who stay married to their pre-transition, heterosexual spouses, (effectively becoming a homosexual couple after transition), transfolk who identify as hetero (or homo) and pursue that kind of relationship post-transition, are just two examples.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I tell people that I am Trans; one of the first questions is, "Are you Gay?" And I always answer with a quick, "No!"

    ReplyDelete