Sunday, March 25, 2012

Hairy


I've got a real love-hate relationship with shaving.

When I was a preteen, I saw my Dad shaving with his electric shaver, and thought it would be neat to have enough peach fuzz to need my own (I was one of those boys that want to be "just like Dad"; whatever gender confusion I may have had was buried pretty deeply at that point). Then I got hit by the "body hair fairy", and I quickly discovered how much of a hassle it can all be.

For starters, I've got a LOT of hair. Arms, legs, chest, back, and of course on my face. Way more hair than any genetic female would ever have, and enough that people notice when I shave it. For my face & legs, that's fine... guys can do that, especially if they're cyclists (I am). But everything else? Arms, chest, back, shoulders, armpits...? When that hair goes missing, people tend to ask questions I'd rather avoid.

So, I shave what I can safely shave in our culture without raising eyebrows. Not the best, but I can live with it for now.

Unfortunately, even for the places I feel free to shave, I have issues. I've always had super sensitive skin, which makes using a blade of any kind tricky — I tend to cut myself, a LOT. Plus, my face gets pretty irritated if I shave on anything approaching a regular basis (like daily). And as if that isn't enough, my hair grows in at a weird angle, so that even the closest, smoothest electric shaver leaves me with a Homer Simpson-style 5 o' clock shadow. Sad face! :(

It's taken me years to figure out how to deal with this. For a while I tried growing a goatee, because it seemed like it would be less of a daily hassle. I was also in a phase of my life when I was trying to deny my feminine side, and I thought having a beard would make my GID feelings weaker, or at the very least easier to ignore. I quickly found that I was wrong in both cases: it took even more effort to keep a goatee neatly trimmed, and after a few days the prickliness would really start to bug me (and my wife, for that matter), so I'd end up shaving it all off, and the feelings would come roaring back.

More often than not, then, I end up being lazy and looking like a less-masculine George Michael, with a day or two's worth of shadow. Yuck.

Honestly, if electrolysis / laser hair removal weren't so expensive and time-consuming, I'd have probably done my face and legs already. Le sigh.

Ah, yes, my legs. I've been shaving them on and off for years. Once, early on in our marriage, my wife commented on how sexy my legs would look if they were shaved. So that night I took the opportunity to shave them... slowly, and with several painful nicks, but I rather liked the results (my girlish feelings were just reawakening after being dormant for most of my college years). I loved their smooth silkiness, and the way my pants fabric felt slipping over them when I walked was absolutely delicious. My sweetheart was surprised when she saw what I'd done the next morning — I think her original comment was just playful and not really serious — but if I remember right, she liked them. (I was riding my bike back and forth a lot to college classes at the time, so my calves were pretty toned). But shaving my legs was so time consuming, not to mention hard for me to explain, so I'd go months or even years without doing anything about them.

Fast-forward to last year. I've spent the last few years exercising on my lunch break at work a couple of times a week, usually just power-walking or some light weight training in the gym in my building. Then I had the brilliant idea to bring my bike to work and leave it in a corner, so I could RIDE on my lunch breaks instead. It's easier on my bad knees, and I can go further and burn more calories in the same amount of time... win-win! Plus, as a serious cyclist, I finally had a justifiable reason to shave my legs on a regular basis... make that win-win-WIN! I've got my own Venus shaver for the job so I don't mess up my wife's blades, and she's come to accept my doing it.

I've kept my legs clean-shaven pretty much constantly since then. Doing maintenance shaves maybe once or twice a week is enough to keep them soft, smooth, and comfy. I still wish there was a better way besides shaving to get my face and legs to where I want them, and wish I could follow suit with the rest of my body, but for right now, this feels like a good compromise between sasquatch and naked mole rat, and makes me feel just a little bit more like myself.

10 comments:

  1. Following your blog, I giggled when I saw the title of this post. I too have had issues with my over abundance of body hair, and on many occasions expressed my great disliking for it. I have expressed my opinion of it so often that several male coworkers have expressed similar views. For me I hate body hair, and I hate shaving just as much. So I will avoid shaving until I can not stand the look and feel of the hair and them I will shave. I have seriously contemplated purchasing the NO NO hare remover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never even heard of the NoNo until you mentioned it! The reviews I've seen for it online all look like astroturf (affiliate marketing of some kind); does it work as well as they claim?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know how well the NONO works; I have never used it, but I have read some great reviews, and some bad. Very few that where middle of the road. I think as per manufactures instruction you will see good results, but follow the instructions. One thing I did read; is that it works by targeting the darker pigment in the hair. So if you have light hairs don’t expect to see good results, and if you have darker skin, well don’t use it at all. I have seen pictures of an African American woman after one treatment, and it looked painful to say the least.

      Delete
    2. From what I've read about it and the science behind it I would stay away from the NoNo hair remover and just purchase laser. You can get some pretty good deals on it here in Utah. It pretty easy to find prices at or below $500 for 4 treatments of a full beard. I'm getting it done at a cosmetic surgery place in Utah County and it cost me about $500 for 4 sessions. I'm actually going in for my 4th session in a couple of minutes. I'm not hairless yet, but when I shave now I don't have much of a shadow left at all and it's finally smooth--at least 75% of the hair is gone.

      At first the price made me not do laser and I looked into other stuff (that doesn't really work), but then I thought about how I usually blew $100 bucks a month on things I wanted less like clothes and electronics--I simply decided to stop buying stuff for a few months to pay for it, and it's worked out quite well.

      As far as electrologists goes, I would only use it on areas/hair laser won't work on, like blond, white, or thin hairs. It's more expensive, more painful and more time consuming. Laser really isn't that time consuming. My last session didn't even take me twice as long as it does to shave my face.

      Oh, and my facial hair was so thick I completely dulled a Mach3 razor in one or 2 shaves--afterwards I looked about like other guys usually look after not shaving for a week at scout camp. It's so worth the cost, but make sure you go with someone experienced who uses a newer laser.

      Delete
    3. I just wanted to say that I've been shaving pretty much my whole body for years and no one seems to care--lots of guys do it so why not?

      Delete
  3. Well, I have dark hair, and tannish skin, so maybe I'm in the target market...? Anyway, I'm sure if I ever try one I'll blog about it, good or bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I also meant to say that I found that the schick hydro 5 (I think it's just the men's version of the hydro silk) is the best razor I've found so far for shaving body/leg hair. It really stinks for shaving my face, but it works great on thick body hair, and I almost never get razor burn. I have pretty sensitive skin too. When I run out of refills I'll probably switch to the woman's version of the same razor--just got the men's version because I got it on a good sale. I haven't tried the Venus razor yet, but it's just the women's version of the Mach 3 (meaning the use the same blade set up) and I didn't care for that razor much. But I've noticed that different razors work better for different people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Venus does alright for me when I use it with a liberally-applied shaving gel, or in the shower. I've tried Nair too, but even the specially-targeted "Nair for Men" doesn't do a very good job on my legs (I still had to go back with a blade and get all the hairs the creme had missed). I'll give the Schick a try next time I need a refill.

    As for shaving the rest of my body hair -- I'm not built like the kind of guy that would routinely shave his chest (I haven't yet eliminated my tummy, and I nearly fill a B cup bra), so it would seem a bit out of the blue, I think. Plus, the questions I'd be most concerned about answering would be my family's, because I'm not really "out" yet. My wife knows something's up (she says I'm "reinventing myself," which is certainly true) but not the full extent, and I need to tread carefully in terms of what kind of gender cues my 13-year-old daughter picks up from me. Nerts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try conditioner (yeah the stuff for your hair) it makes way better shaving cream than gel--my wife thinks so too.

      Wow, I didn't know your wife didn't know yet--that's got to be tough. You've got to find a way to tell her eventually. My wife's really understanding and it took her years to come to terms with it even though I tried to tell her from the beginning. My kids are a lot younger--they know I'm not like most Dads, but they really don't understand why yet.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it's definitely something I'm working up to, but there's so much stress in her life right now (other factors) that I don't want to make things worse by adding this to her pile just yet. :|

      Delete